The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports his tasks of conducting the EU’s Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in his capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to his responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU’s external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission.
The Division EEAS.RM.BS.4 Support to the Delegations is responsible for the Administrative support to EU Delegations in the framework of the regionalization of administrative tasks, payments of the Annex X entitlements and Front Office for Delegations’ Administrative matters support.
BS.4 is also working on global calls for tender (i.e. logistics) in the context of the EU Branding initiative.
At the same time, the Division supports more intensively the Delegations to: Albania, Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bosnia Herzegovina, Strasbourg, North Macedonia, Georgia, Iceland, Kosovo, Libya, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, Norway, Paris, Rome, Russia, Serbia, Switzerland, UN (Geneva), WTO (Geneva), Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine and Vienna.
Beyond the wide-ranging administrative support to 27 previously regionalised Delegations (mainly in Europe and in the Western Balkans), the RM.BS.4 Support to Delegations Division has been gradually centralising the Art.23 and rotation entitlements payments for Delegations (North America in July 2020, Latin America and the Caribbean in February 2021, EURCA and MENA in July 2021 and CENTRAL & WEST AFRICA foreseen in the 1st quarter of 2022).
The Division is organised in teams dealing with: procurement and contract management, and HR and Finances.
The position of the Finance and Contracts Assistant – contract agent FGIII as per article 3b of the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS).
We look for:
We are seeking a highly motivated colleague who will work within the team whose main tasks are:
BUDGET AND FINANCIAL MONITORING AND REPORTING ACCOUNTING
- Ensure correct and timely financial initiation and/or verification of transactions
- Ensure the regularity and legality of commitments, payments
- Advise on sound financial management to all stakeholders
- Financial circuits, missions, preparation of financial dossiers
- Back-up for the administration in the Delegations when needed
- Provide assistance to very small Delegations.
Budget and financial monitoring and reporting:
- Budget requirements, allocation and reporting
- Follow-up of the budget and in preparing transfer requests when needed
- Follow-up of the consumption of the commitments and payment credits using ABAC and/or BUDGDEL.
HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Legal overview and assistance in human resource management – Analysis of local law documents, and comparison with internal procedures
- Preparation of administrative files; monitoring and reporting of issues
- Regional overview; Back-up for the administration in the delegations when needed (including support on missions)
- Provide assistance in the workflow for small delegations where necessary.
REMUNERATION, RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS
- Rights & obligations: Management of personnel files of local staff and handling of related sensitive information, providing information on different procedures to newcomers and other staff
- Calculations and payment of local staff salaries including overtime; Payroll system administration and other salary services
- Medical reimbursements – Prior consultation of eligibility and procedures, calculation and verification for reimbursements of medical expenditure.
The vacancy is to be filled in accordance with the conditions stipulated under the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). 1
The successful candidate will be offered a contract agent position (Function group III); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
Candidates for this contract agent III post should:
- (i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in a valid FG for this post
- (ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in a valid FG for this post https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=Al…
- have a level of post-secondary education attested by a diploma or a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education and appropriate professional experience of three year;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset.
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
- have prior experience with at least two of the following domains: accounting, financial operations, HRM procedures and tools;
- have ability to maintain diplomatic relations and to ensure representation and communication in a complex, multicultural environment;
- have capacity to create constructive working relations in the field of external relations with national authorities, international organisations and EU Member States;
- have strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
- have knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the Union;
- have excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the EEAS;
- have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- have strong service attitude;
- be fluent in English and in French (both orally and in writing);
- have geographical knowledge and/or experience of the Neighbourhood;
- be a flexible team player.
- experience and advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite, Microsoft Excel in particular;
- experience of working in a team in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience in working with or within a diplomatic representation or EU Delegation;
- fluency in one of Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Chinese, Portuguese;
would be considered as strong assets.
Specific conditions of employment
The signature of the contract will be subject to prior favourable opinion of the Medical Service.
The successful candidate might be required to undergo security vetting if she or he does not hold already a Personal Security Clearance to an appropriate level, in accordance with relevant security provisions.
The EEAS is committed to an equal opportunities policy for all its employees and applicants for employment. As an employer, the EEAS is committed to promoting gender equality and to preventing discrimination on any grounds. It actively welcomes applications from all qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds and from the broadest possible geographical basis amongst the EU Member States. We aim at a service which is truly representative of society, where each staff member feels respected, is able to give their best and can develop their full potential.
Candidates with disabilities are invited to contact CONTRACTAGENTS-HQ@eeas.europa.eu in order to accommodate any special needs and provide assistance to ensure the possibility to pass the selection procedure in equality of opportunities with other candidates. If a candidate with a disability is selected for a vacant post, the EEAS is committed to providing reasonable accommodation in accordance with Art 1d.4 of the Staff Regulations.
Application and selection procedure2
Please send your CV and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) via email to
Deadline for applications: 15/12/2021 at 18.00 (CET).
Candidates shall draft their CV following the European CV form which can be found at the following internet address:http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/en/documents/curriculum-vitae.
Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be informed about the outcome of the pre-selection phase.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Authorised to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
Place of employment: EEAS Headquarters, Brussels, Belgium
Post available: 16/02/2022
1 Staff Regulations of Officials (SR) and the Conditions of Employment of Other Servants of the European Union (CEOS). For reference, see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?qid=1570023902133&uri=CE…
2 Your personal data will be processed in accordance with Regulation (EU) 2018/1725, as implemented by ADMIN(2019)8 Decision of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy. The privacy statement is available on the Europa website: (http://eeas.europa.eu/data_protection/rights/index_en.htm) and on the EEAS Intranet: (https://intranet.eeas.europa.eu/page/eeas-work/data-protection/privacy-s…).